Declare or Change Major

Thank you for your interest in the Department of Linguistics. Below is information on declaring our major or minor. If you're interested in applying for the Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT) Certificate, review the SLAT application process.

Declare the Major or Minor

If you're a student interested in exploring or declaring the Linguistics major or minor:

  1. Meet with either Linguistics Director of Undergraduate Studies Melissa Baese-Berk, OR one of the Global Connections Flight Path advisors in Tykeson Hall.
  2. Discuss with the advisor the structure of the major, how to select appropriate electives, and choose a preliminary schedule of courses that will allow you to graduate on time.
  3. Submit your declaration status using the form below.
  4. Review your program with the undergraduate advisor on an annual basis, especially before the start of the student's senior year, to ensure requirements can be met prior to graduation.

Change the Major or Minor

Students wishing to drop a declared Linguistics major or minor should use the same form, linked below.

Declare or Drop the Linguistics Major

Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Certificate

Students interested in earning the undergraduate SLAT certificate should with a certificate advisor. Together, the student and advisor will track progress in the certificate.

There are no admission requirements for the SLAT certificate program. The certificate is awarded upon completion of the course requirements, with the following conditions:

  • International students whose first language is not English will be required to document a TOEFL score of 550 (old system) or 213 (new system), or to complete any required courses in Academic English for International Students (AEIS) as well as the WR 121 and WR 122/123 courses.
  • The certificate is an add-on to the bachelor's degree. Therefore:
    • Students interested in obtaining the SLAT certificate must be working towards a bachelor's degree.
    • The certificate can be awarded only upon completion of the bachelor's degree.

You can get a certificate in more than one language by completing the language-specific course requirements and a separate internship for each language.

How to Apply

Students apply for the certificate when you apply for graduation using the following process:

  • Confirm with your advisor that all certificate requirements will have been completed on schedule.
  • File an online application (DUCKWEB).
  • In your DuckWeb graduation application, indicate that you are applying for the certificate by selecting "Second Language Acquisition and Teaching."